Reverse Osmosis, a water treatment method traditionally known for removing salt from seawater, is also used to purify drinking water by forcing untreated water molecules through a semi-permeable membrane or filter. The membrane blocks contaminants and the impurities are subsequently expelled from the environment. The result is pure, clean drinking water.
Typical Reverse Osmosis System
- Water containing impurities enters the system
- Impurities are stopped and rejected at the membrane surface
- Water pressure forces water molecules through the membrane
- The purified water is then sent directly to the faucet
- Impurities are expelled from the system and sent to a drain underneath the sink area.
Does it work?
The Reverse Osmosis membrane has a tight pore structure (less than 0.0001 micron or 500,000 times less than the diameter of a human hair) that effectively removes up to 99% of all contaminants and impurities such as total dissolved solids, chemicals, bacteria and viruses from drinking water. Anti-microbial filters used in Reverse Osmosis also help to remove unwanted odors, colors and tastes from water. Reverse Osmosis filtration technology is so effective that it is used by most leading water bottling plants.
What are some of the benefits?
- Pure, clean drinking water and ice cubes
- Removal of unwanted odors or tastes
- More robust tasting beverages that are mixed with Reverse Osmosis treated water (coffee, tea, etc.)
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Convenient- pure, clean water at the touch of a finger
- While not practical for purifying public water supply, an in-home Reverse Osmosis system can be cost effective when compared to other home water filtration methods
PureLux – A Unique Approach to Reverse Osmosis
A typical Reverse Osmosis filtration system consists of a sediment or chlorine removing pre-filter, a semi-permeable membrane, a storage tank and an activated carbon post-filter. However, these home water filtration systems only tend to operate at 5-20% efficiency, meaning for every ten gallons of water treated, only one gallon of pure water is achieved. Also, the holding tank used in many of the standard units can become a breeding ground for bacteria and other impurities after the water filtration process. The PureLux direct flow water purification system from Aerus is a unique Reverse Osmosis home water purification unit with five stages of filtration. There are three stages of carbon pre-filters to improve taste, remove sediment, organic and inorganic compounds. In stage four, water passes through the Reverse Osmosis membrane to remove impure substances and produce completely pure drinking water. In the fifth and final stage, water passes through an anti-microbial filter cartridge to prevent unpleasant odors, tastes and microorganisms from recurring as water leaves the faucet.
Benefits of PureLux Reverse Osmosis Filtration
- Pure Water on Demand – No holding tank or storage unit, just fresh flowing water when you need it
- More Water, Less Waste – Runs at 75% efficiency, for every 10 gallons treated, 7.5 gallons of pure water are achieved, produces up to 300 gallons of purified water per day
- Smart System – Provides alerts for water quality, pressure leakage, filter capacity and replacement
- Energy Efficient – Consumes very little power
- Low Maintenance – Automated valves, pumps and cleaning, easy-to-read, user-friendly LCD panel, measures and reports Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
- Eco-Friendly Design – Housing and filters are recyclable & biodegradable